Apple Breakfast Casserole
This apple breakfast casserole is super simple to make and feeds a big family (or gives you lots of delicious leftovers for later in the week). It is totally vegan/vegetarian, since that is mostly how we eat these days (though you can adjust it based on what you have in your fridge).
The star: Autumn Glory apples! They have hints of cinnamon and caramel and make this such a beautiful dish — all layered on top. They are grown exclusively in Washington state by Superfresh Growers.
The other reason why this breakfast is so satisfying: it has plant-based sausage, grated potato, and apples. A little savory, a little sweet and full of fiber and plant-based protein = a breakfast that will keep you full until lunch. And did I mention it’s totally beautiful too?
- Serve with syrup on the side. I find they use waaaaaay less if they can dip rather than just pouring syrup all over the top.
- Cut up the casserole into smaller bites so they can easily chew the baked apple slices.
- Serve with other familiar foods — like raspberries.
Want other apple ideas?
Try these apple bites.
And this flatbread.
And this apple sweet potato soup. (see below)
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Superfresh Growers. The opinions, text, recipe, and beautiful photos are all mine. Thank you for supporting brands that support Eat the Rainbow – Kids!! I choose them based on what I already cook/create with and feel 100% confident in recommending to you.
Apple Breakfast Casserole
- 13 x 9 glass pan
- 1 cup plant-based sausage, crumbled or sub breakfast sausage of choice
- 1 cup grated Russet potato
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup oat milk or sub milk of choice
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup JUST Egg, liquid egg substitute or sub 1 egg
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 14 oz vegan pancake/waffle mix I used Birch Benders' Plant protein mix, but any of their varieties would work
- 3 cups thinly slice Autumn Glory apples ~2 apples
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or sub sweetener of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan over medium heat, saute the sausage and grated potatoes in olive oil for approximately 6 minutes until lightly browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, transfer cooked sausage and potatoes, then add in the milk, water, egg substitute, tahini, salt, and pepper. Stir. Then, stir in the dry pancake/waffle mix. Spray a 13 x 9 glass pan with non-stick spray and evenly distribute the batter.
- In a separate bowl, lightly toss the apple slices with lemon, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Then lay them on top of the batter in a fairly thin / even layer. You can press them down a bit into the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the casserole is set. Serve hot with maple syrup.