Homemade BLUEberry Pop tarts
How fun are these BLUEberry pop tarts made with a blueberry chia jam and that super blue glaze (thanks to Butterfly Pea Flower Powder 🦋) that #TeamNosh gal @mydiaryofus created for us?!
The best part is, they couldn’t be any easier to make with the help of store bought pie crust! 🙌🔵☀️ Trust me, your weekend breakfast plans need to look like this!
Leigh Ann used butterfly pea powder to make the icing extra blue, which her son is totally obsessed with! And the result is: one seriously gorgeous pop tart!
Want more blueberry recipes?
Try my Blueberry Syrup.
Or BlueBEARy toast.
Homemade Blueberry Pop Tarts
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or sub frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk or sub milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp butterfly pea flower powder *optional, but so fun!
- Leave pie dough out of fridge for 30 minutes to soften until workable.
- Meanwhile make blueberry vanilla chia jam by combining blueberries and vanilla in a saucepan and cook down for about 10 minutes until blueberries have softened and turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, a regular blender, or food processor pulse the blueberries until smooth. This step is optional if you prefer a chunkier jam. Add chia seeds to the blueberries after you turn off the heat and stir to combine. Chill for 15-20 minutes until chia seeds have thickened the jam.
- Roll out the pie dough just slightly and cut round edges off to create a large square. Cut the square into 6 rectangles close to the same size. (They don’t have to be perfect, these are homemade after all.) Repeat the process with the second pie dough.
- Place 6 of the rectangles onto a parchment lined baking sheet and then place 1 teaspoon of the blueberry jam in the center of the rectangle. Don't overfill here or you will have jam that comes out the sides of the pop tart. Dip your finger in the water and run around the edge of the rectangle and then place a second rectangle on top of the bottom on and using a fork, go around the edge to seal and crimp. Repeat until all rectangles have been used.
- Beat the egg and lightly brush on top of each pop tart. Take the fork and poke in two spots on top of each pop tart before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until each pop tart is golden brown on top. Let cool.
- While the pop tarts bake, make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, milk, butterfly pea powder, and remaining 1 tsp. of vanilla in a bowl and whisking until smooth. Once pop tarts are cooled, drizzle with blue glaze and let set for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.