Sunshine Veggie Sushi with a Mango Honey Lime Dipping Sauce
Hey y’all! It’s Leigh Ann from My Diary of Us here, and I am so excited to be a part of #Yellowweek! Yellow is such a happy color isn’t it? It just makes me smile, which is why I am so in love with this sunshine sushi that I created for you! Sushi is one of those foods that I think intimidates people; but honestly, once you get the hang of it, it’s really simple to make. Plus it’s super fun for kiddos to get involved in making their own and you can incorporate so many fruits and veggies, making them extra colorful and delicious.
I love making sushi in all forms, with fish, without fish, and everything in between. There are endless options for what can go inside the rolls once you get the method down for rolling. You will find that this recipe for bell pepper beet sushi is a great introductory sushi roll for those little ones who aren’t eating raw fish yet or enjoy a plant-based diet.
It’s all about exposure with kids, and veggie sushi is a great way to not only get them involved, but also used to eating it at home. My son absolutely loves making homemade sushi and it really has helped him become more adventurous with all types of sushi! I paired this particular sushi with a yummy mango dipping sauce that is slightly sweet and that kiddos love so much! Kids love a dip, am I right? Honestly, this mango dip is not only great for sushi but is also super yummy mixed into yogurt, and to dip fish and chicken into as well. It’s a great one to have on hand in the fridge.
You can definitely mix in whatever fruits and veggies here that you like, but I love the idea of keeping it all one color and how the rice here is cooked with ginger and turmeric for extra flavor and color! The pale yellow rice is so yummy on it’s own and makes this sunshine sushi even more delicious.
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe out for yourself at home with your kids! You are going to love it!
Want more ways to enjoy golden beets?
Try Kelly’s golden beet hummus.
Or Kelly’s root veggie breakfast quesadillas.
Or Kelly’s super yellow juice.
Or my roasted beet salad.
Sunshine Veggie Sushi
- 6 sheets Nori
- 2 cups Sushi rice
- water for cooking rice (2 cups if using rice cooker, 4 cups if cooking stove top)
- 1 1" piece of sliced fresh ginger
- 1 1" piece of fresh turmeric or sub 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 3 steamed golden beets skins removed
- 2 mangoes peeled and pit discarded
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Cook sushi rice by combining rice, water, ginger, and turmeric and cook.When finished cooking, season with rice vinegar and salt and stir to combine. Discard the ginger and the turmeric and let cool.
- Slice steamed beets in half and then into thin half moons. Set aside.
- Prepare mango dipping sauce by pureeing mango, lime juice, and honey until smooth in a high speed blender.
- Lay out nori sheet, rough side facing up and place about 1/4 cup of seasoned and cooled sushi rice in a thin layer on nori sheet starting at the bottom. Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch at the top of the nori for rolling.
- Place a single layer of beets and bell pepper about an inch from the bottom of the nori.Using your hands tightly roll the sushi and when you get close to the top wet your fingers to wet the edge of the nori that doesn’t have rice, and then continue rolling and pressing to seal the roll.Repeat with the rest of the sushi rolls.
- Slice with a very sharp knife and serve alongside the mango sauce.